Scoliosis is a disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine, or backbone. The spine has normal curves when looking from the side, but it should appear straight when looking from the front.
People with scoliosis develop additional curves to either side and the bones of the spine twist on each other, forming a “C” or an “S” shape in the spine.
- Idiopathic scoliosis- In this type of scoliosis the cause is unknown
- Functional scoliosis- In this type of scoliosis, the spine is normal, but an abnormal curve develops because of a problem somewhere else in the body.
- Neuromuscular scoliosis: In this type of scoliosis, there is a problem when the bones of the spine are formed. Either the bones of the spine fail to form completely or they fail to separate from each other during fetal development.
- Degenerative scoliosis- it occurs in older adults. It is caused by changes in the spine due to arthritis known as spondylosis. Weakening of the normal ligaments and other soft tissues of the spine combined with abnormal bone spurs can lead to an abnormal curvature of the spine.
- Congenital scoliosis – when the curve is present at birth.
- Spine tumours
- Leg length discrepancy
- Vertebral compression fractures
- Birth defects
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular distropy
- Incorrect posture
GOALS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY :
- Improves pain through advanced modalities.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Reduces tightness
- Increases strength resisted band exercises
- Alignment correction through manual therapy
- Taping technique
- Laser therapy for instant pain relief
KRV physiotherapy treats spine related problems. KRV Physiotherapy has treated hundreds of patients with spine related problems in Gurgaon. Physiotherapy greatly helps Scoliosis